What is Genetic Engineering?
Genetic engineering is the process of modification or immediate control of the genes of living beings through biotechnology. In simple words, the exchange of cells inside and across the species limitation will lead to developing improved or novel living organisms.
As a science aspirant, you might have a strong inclination towards learning how the genes are interchanged and what it likes to take as a Genetic Engineer. In this article, we will explain to you in detail about what are the duties of Genetic Engineers, their demands, and colleges offering courses in Genetic Engineering. So, let’s get started.
The Job responsibility of Genetic Engineer:
Genetic engineers are highly trained experts who use different molecular tools and technologies to reorganize the fragments of DNA. The main purpose of doing so is to add or remove an organism’s genetic makeup for better change or to transfer DNA code from one species into the other. It is mainly achieved to improve the functioning of organisms so that they grow in any environment conditions.
Below are the day-to-day activities of a Genetic Engineer:
- They use different lab pieces of equipments to examine the DNA structures of organisms and modify it.
- They are more updated with any news related to the Genetic engineering field.
- On the field job, they design and perform the experiments.
- Write and publish the journal papers.
- Attend the conferences which are related to genetic engineering specialization.
The educational requirement:
Interested students applying for the Genetic Engineering course must have finished 10+2 exams with Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology as the main subjects. The admission to B.Tech in Genetic Engineering is done through the conducted National-level entrance exams like JEE (Main), JEE (Advanced), or GATE test. Whereas, the entry-level jobs in this field require the candidates to be holding a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Future demands for Genetic Engineers:
The career prospects in genetic engineering are enormous. It is a rapidly growing industry in India as there is a huge demand for genetically modified crops to meet the growing population of urban and rural states. Some of the educational institutions like the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER’s) had been set up by the Government to promote the education and practices of Genetic Engineering.
In every industry that includes biomedical, diary, agriculture, and forensic labs, there are a lot of internship or training opportunities for students around the globe. Based on the set of educational degrees and work experience, job promotion, and salary growth tend to vary. One who has gained enough experience can aim to become project leaders or administrators of research programs. Some of the research scientists have also started their consulting firms or biotechnology labs.
These days, it very normal that when you start working as a fresher, you are likely to get paid less, but once you get specialized in this field would be offered an attractive salary. The starting salary of a ‘trainee engineer’ is around 2 to 2.8 lakhs per annum. Whereas the junior scientists are earning roughly from 6 to 9 lakhs and senior scientists earn 15 lakhs in private organizations. Compared o India, the average annual salary of a Genetic Engineer in the USA range between $159,000 to $194,000 per year.
List of Genetic Engineering Colleges in Andhra Pradesh
- Sri Shirdi Sai Srinivasa Degree College, Visakhapatnam
- International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Andhra Pradesh
List of Genetic Engineering Colleges in Tamil Nadu
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
- Mohamed Sathak College of Arts and Science, Chennai
List of Colleges offering Genetic Engineering in Telangana
- Indian Institute Of Technology – [IIT], Hyderabad
- International Institute Of Information Technology – [IIT], Hyderabad
- Hyderabad Institute Of Technology And Management – [HITAM], Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University – [JNTUH], Hyderabad
- University College Of Engineering, Osmania University – [UCE], Hyderabad
- MLR Institute Of Technology – [MLRIT], Hyderabad
- Chaitanya Bharathi Institute Of Technology – [CBIT], Hyderabad
- Nalla Malla Reddy Engineering College – [NMREC], Hyderabad
- Vallurupalli Nageswara Rao Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering And Technology – [VNRVJIET], Hyderabad
- CCR College Of Engineering, Ibrahimpatnam, Hyderabad
- BV Raju Institute Of Technology – [BVRIT], Hyderabad
- Vardhaman College Of Engineering – [VCE], Hyderabad
- Anurag Group Of Institutions, Hyderabad
- Vasavi College Of Engineering – [VCE], Hyderabad
- Gokaraju Rangaraju Institute Of Engineering And Technology [GRIET], Hyderabad
- Birla Institute Of Technology And Science – [BITS], Hyderabad
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Technology – [MGIT], Hyderabad
- Sreenidhi Institute Of Science And Technology – [SIST], Hyderabad
- Keshav Memorial Institute Of Technology – [KMIT], Hyderabad
- Cmr Engineering College – [CMREC], Hyderabad
- Matrusri Engineering College, Hyderabad
- Geethanjali College Of Engineering And Technology – [GCET] Keesara, Hyderabad
- Sphoorthy Engineering College – [SEC], Hyderabad
- Vidya Jyothi Institute Of Technology – [VJIT], Hyderabad
- Bhoj Reddy Engineering College For Women, Hyderabad
- Muffakham Jah College Of Engineering & Technology – [MJCET], Hyderabad
- Sri Indu Institute Of Engineering & Technology – [SICET], Hyderabad
- Deccan College Of Engineering And Technology – [DCET], Hyderabad
- Mahaveer Institute Of Science And Technology- [MIST], Hyderabad
- TKR College Of Engineering And Technology – [TKRCET], Hyderabad
- ISL Engineering College – [ISLEC], Hyderabad
List of Colleges offering Genetic Engineering in Karnataka
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Veterinary College, Hebbal
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, Bangalore
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research, Tamaka, Kolar, Karnataka
- The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore
- University of Mysore, Mysore
- Karnataka University, Dharwad
- University of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Shimoga
- Rai Technology University, Bangalore
- Brindavan College, Bangalore
- Indian Academy Degree College, Bangalore
- Nitte University Centre for Science Education and Research, Mangalore
- College of Agriculture, Shimoga, Shivamogga, Karnataka
- Manipal School of Life Sciences, Manipal
List of Colleges offering Genetic Engineering in Kerala
- AWH Special College, Calicut
- Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Wayanad
- College of Agriculture, Thiruvananthapuram
- College of Horticulture, Thrissur
- College of Agriculture, Padannakkad
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Mannuthy
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Wayanad
- SCMS School of Technology and Management, Cochin
- University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
- Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur
- College of Agriculture, Vellayani
Above are a few of the Indian state engineering colleges that are offering Genetic Engineering courses. Each one of the students applying for the above program must meet the minimum eligibility criteria stated by each state institutes.
We hope that in this piece of the article, we’ve provided with all sorts of information about Genetic Engineering.
We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.