Pharm D and D Pharm Courses
The study of pharmacy is profound to be the most opted course among the medical aspirants to pursue a career in this field. Pharmacy is not only bonded within the roots of learning medicines and its treatment processes. It also covers a wide range of topics related to physical wellness from medical care, food, lifestyle products, and cosmetics. Pharmaceutical science also deals with the in-depth study of diseases and their treatments in regards to health and chemical sciences.
Although both Pharm D and D Pharm are job-oriented courses in India, the duration, fees, and scope of these courses are quite different. At the end of this article, you will get a clear idea about the Pharm D and D Pharm specialized programs.
What is Pharm D?
Pharm D or Doctor of Pharmacy is a six-year professional degree in the medical stream. Students who take up this course seek five years of theoretical knowledge and one year of practical internship or residency experience. The course aims to equip students with a comprehensive management study of medication therapy and methods to improve patient health.
It is the only course that is taken up by students after their 10+2 examinations. B.Pharm graduates can also seek admission by applying through the lateral entry course like Pharm D. (Post Bachelorette) which is of 3-years duration.
The educational requirement for Pharm D (six-year) and D Pharm (three-year) courses:
Eligibility criteria for 6-year Pharm D:
- Students seeking admission to a six-year Pharm D course must have completed 10+2 level of education from any recognized board institution.
- They must have studied Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Biology compulsory subjects. At the time of admission, they should be 17 years of age.
- Candidates who completed a diploma in Pharmacy are also eligible to apply.
Eligibility criteria for 3-year Pharm. D course (Post Baccalaureate):
- Applicants with a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree achieved from a recognized Pharmacy institution can apply.
- They must have also finished higher secondary education with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Biology as the mandatory subjects.
What is D Pharm?
- Pharm or Diploma in Pharmacy is a two-year program that provides the best seeking job opportunity for medical students. Students who enroll in this course seek to learn the basics of Pharmacy, and many of them take up advanced-level courses in this field.
The program covers the fundamentals of Pharmacy education that includes the application of Chemistry in the Pharmaceutical industry, concepts of Biochemistry, Pharmacology, and Toxicology. During the coursework, students will able to learn about the different chemical salts, their application, and usage in medicine.
Eligibility criteria for two-year D.Pharm
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 exam with 50% marks achieved in science subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology can apply.
- Admission to this course is done based on the entrance exams conducted by the Universities.
- In the case of SC/ST/OBC students, a minimum of 45% marks is required in the 10+2 exam.
Differences between Pharm D and D Pharm
Pharm D or Doctor of Pharmacy is six-year program
D Pharm or Diploma of Pharmacy is two-year program
The duration of the program is six-years.
5 years of academic study and 1 year of internship or residency work.
D Pharm course is of two-year duration and divided into four semesters.
Learning outcomes of the course
Students who enroll in the Pharm D program will able to demonstrate the general practice of Pharmaceutical doctors employed in healthcare and pharmacy institutions.
D.Pharm is an employment-centered course that enables the students to acquire the knowledge and skills in Pharmaceutical science.
This course will make students get familiarized with the basic principles of Pharmaceutical sciences that include academic and practical exposure.
There are plenty of job opportunities for medical aspirants with Pharm D degree specialization. Below is the list of most in-demand jobs for D Pharm graduates.
I. Clinical Pharmacist
II. Analytical Chemist
III. Clinical Research
IV. Medical writer
V. Quality control Officers
VI. Pharmacovigilance Associate
VII. Pharmacoeconomics researcher
VIII. Community Pharmacist
IX. Drug Inspector
One who is holding a diploma degree in Pharmacy can secure jobs in private or government hospitals, health clinics, NGO’s, and pharmaceutical companies.
The starting salary of a graduate with a Pharm D degree is around 3.5 lakhs per annum.
This amount tends to grow based on the firm and sector of employment.
The average salary of a Clinical Pharmacist in Indiarange between 1.50 and 5 lakhs per annum.
Based on the skills and experience, the candidate’s position and salary get increased.
We hope that the above article will clear your doubts to opt for the appropriate Pharmacy course that uplifts your dream to become a specialized Pharmacist or doctor.
Best of luck, folks!